Photo. Some of my collected CDs from around the world: world music, folk rock, ethnic, traditional and folk rock.
I really like ethnic music, world music, folk rock and traditional music. By listening these songs in my home, I sometimes feel transported back to the places I have visited. Wether I buy the music on cassett, CD, download or streaming, I find good memories from it.
Listening to music is complicated. It’s said to be one of the few activities that requires using both sides of the brain simultaneously, according to an article I read on Internet. Music is for me brain therapy and it helps to retain my memories from journes around the world. For me world music is associated with traditions, culture, history, fairytales, dance, partying and happiness.
All cultures have music. The oldest known musical instrument is a 40,000 year old flute carved from a bone. Music has been universally used to help people remember language and stories significant to that culture.
Some of the music I have enjoyed on my tours are:
- Đorđe Balašević is a prominent Serbian and former Yugoslav singer-songwriter. I listened to his beautiful songs and drank home made wine in a pub into a cave. It was benath the fortress in Belgrade.
- The Fialka and Totalni Nasareni in Bratislava, Slovakia, in 2016: two legendary punk bands from Checkia turned the attenders upside down, sing along, jumping like wild cangooros and strange dance movements.
- Indust Bag: legendary Slovenian punk/new wave, and later more rock band, from Metlika in Bela Krajina, started in 1979. First bigger concert was at Novi Rock '81 in Ljubljana. I experienced them in Ljubljana in 2015 in Metalkova.
- Vajas from Norway, a Sami music band, performed a wonderful concert in Praha
- Checkia band
- Artist from Iran
- Concert in Finland: Oulu by Olu Tapa and partying sing along standing on chairs and tables in Gazzeli Bar in Helsinki
- Concert in Raratonga on Cook Island
- Spirits in the West, Canada: every evening we sang along on the song "Home for a rest" at the Crocodile Bar in Quebeck.
- Inca music, Peru
- Voz Propia, Lima in Peru: enjoyed a concert the underground band performing punk music with strong lyric punch.
- Tahiti: attended a dancing and music show: beautiful decorated women danced to intensive drumming
- African music
- Music from the Far East.
Definitions of music: source: Vocabulary.com Dictionary
- Ethnic music the traditional and typically anonymous music that is an expression of the life of people in a community. Synonyms are folk, folk music.
- Popular music, popular music genre: any genre of music having wide appeal (but usually only for a short time)
By collecting music from the places I have been, it`s my way retain my memories. Enjoying the music it`s like travelling back in time and it put me in the best mood.
Stein Morten Lund, 13th May 2017
An article on BBC: Why does music evoke memories?
An article on True Viral News for inspiration: 5 songs that will always take me back to the places I’ve traveled